Priests Mark Anniversaries of Ordination

Priests marking their jubilees this year gathered with Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde for a Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Arlington, on May 22 at 10:30 a.m. (see photo at right). 55 Years Fr. Edward McCorkell, O.C.S.O
Cistercian Father Edward McCorkell, 80, is a member of the Holy Cross Abbey community of Trappists in Berryville.
Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1926, Father McCorkell traveled to the United States in 1944 by ship, avoiding attacks by the warring German submarines. He felt he had a vocation to the Paulist Fathers who were based in Johannesburg. He traveled with two other young men to enter the Paulist novitiate.
During his year of novitiate training, he discovered the calling to the monastic life and entered the Trappist monastery of Our Lady of the Valley in Rhode Island in 1945. Father McCorkell made his final vows in 1950 and he was ordained to the priesthood on March 10, 1951. He held numerous positions of responsibility in the Rhode Island Abbey. In 1963, he was sent to Chile to serve as superior of the monastic foundation there. In 1966, he was asked to go to Holy Cross Abbey in Berryville where he served as the superior for one year and then was elected abbot by the community in 1967.
He served as abbot for 12 years until his retirement in 1980. He currently serves as a spiritual counselor and confessor to retreatants who come to the Abbey Retreat House. Fr. Roger Van Cauwenbergh, C.I.C.M
Missionhurst Father Roger Van Cauwenbergh was born Jan. 23, 1924, in Stekene, Belgium.
He entered the Missionhurst Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Zuun, Belgium, in 1945, and was ordained in Louvain, Belgium, on July 22, 1951.
He departed for his first mission province in the Philippines in 1952, where he studied the language. Father Van Cauwenbergh served in various positions throughout the Philippines, including assistant pastor and school director at Bambang Catholic Mission in Nueva Vizcaya; professor at Our Lady of Guadalupe Minor Seminary in Makati, Rizal; assistant pastor and school director at Dupaz Catholic Mission in Nueva Vizcaya; assistant treasurer and professor at St. Louis University in Baguio City; and treasurer and professor at Bacolod Minor Seminary in Negros Occidental.
He returned to Belgium in 1968 and departed for his new mission in the United States in 1969. His first American assignment was as assistant pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Detroit, Mich., where he served until 1971.
Throughout the 1970s-80s, he was assigned as assistant treasurer, house procurator and treasurer at Missionhurst in Arlington; Port-au-Prince, Haiti; Brussels; and as assistant treasurer general in Rome. He returned to Missionhurst and served as assistant treasurer and house procurator from 1988-97. He often celebrated Masses at the Dominican Retreat House in McLean and at Marymount University in Arlington.
After open-heart surgery in November 1997, he retired from full-time service. Though officially retired, he continues to help in the Provincial Treasurer's Office at Missionhurst. Fr. Paul G. Wynants, C.I.C.M.
Missionhurst Father Paul G. Wynants was born on Aug. 2, 1925, in Heverlee, Belgium. He entered the Missionhurst Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in 1944 and was ordained on July 29, 1951.
He departed for his mission assignments in the United States in 1953. He served as assistant pastor at Christ the King Church in Norfolk from 1954-55; professor at Maryhill Seminary in Pinesville, La., from 1955-58; assistant pastor at St. Dominic Parish in Columbus, Ohio, from 1958-59; and assistant pastor at St. Patrick Church in Detroit, Mich., from 1959-62.
In 1962, he was sent to Paris for further studies at the Catholic Institute. He returned to the U.S. and was assigned to the Office of Promotion and as regional vocational director for the New England area, while he resided in New Haven, Conn., from 1963-64. In 1964, Father Wynants was appointed spiritual director and rector for the Missionhurst Seminary in Washington.
In 1975, he was assigned as director of vocations for the U.S. Province. Residing at Missionhurst in Arlington, he also served as rector there until 1981. Under his guidance, Missionhurst evolved into the Missionhurst Mission Center, where he served as coordinator until 1982.
Father Wynants served as the Catholic chaplain at Fairfax Hospital from 1982-2005. In 1992, he took up residence at Mount Tabor Community in Vienna, a house of prayer and Christian community established in 1975 by Missionhurst Father Arthur Verstraete. With the help of Father Wynants, Mount Tabor has continued to grow with an ever-increasing number of members, retreatants and activities. 50 Years
Fr. Joseph J. Loftus
Father Joseph J. Loftus was born March 1, 1929, in Jessup, Pa., the son of Edward and Frances Loftus and the 11th of 13 children.
He was ordained on May 5, 1956, at LaSalette Major Seminary in Ipswich, Mass., in a class of nine seminarians. After his ordination he served as professor and prefect of discipline in the minor seminary.
From 1957-62, he served as associate pastor in the Diocese of Brentwood, England. Upon his return to the United States he was appointed as associate pastor and principal of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish and School in Hartford, Conn.
Father Loftus then joined the order's mission band, a renewal group, for five years.
In 1969, he became founding pastor of the first LaSalette parish in the Diocese of Atlanta. After serving in Minnesota, Father Loftus headed back to Connecticut where he was appointed associate pastor and principal of St. James Parish and School in Danielson, Conn.
In the 1970s he came to the Washington area and earned his certification in addiction counseling at Catholic University. He began to work unofficially at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington, followed by St. Mary Church in Old Town, Alexandria.
Father Loftus served as pastor at St. Agnes Church in Arlington from 1981-87; as associate pastor at St. Lawrence Church in Alexandria from 1987-88; as associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Manassas from 1988-90; as pastor of Our Lady of the Valley Parish in Luray from 1990-92; as pastor of St. John Bosco Parish in Woodstock from 1992-96. In 1996, he had open heart surgery and was transferred to St. Philip Church in Falls Church where he served as pastor until his retirement in 1998.
Father Loftus is currently in residence at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Arlington. Msgr. Frank E. Mahler
Known especially for his affinity for beef stew and his ministry to senior citizens, Msgr. Frank E. Mahler retired last year on his 75th birthday after 48 years of service to the diocese. He was the founding pastor of St. Lawrence Parish in Alexandria and the first pastor of St. Clare of Assisi Parish in Clifton when it became a parish. He resides at Blessed Sacrament Parish in Alexandria.
Born on Long Island, N.Y., on Dec. 15, 1929, Msgr. Mahler attended schools there and graduated from high school in 1948. He earned a bachelor's degree in 1952 from St. Jerome's College in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, in and entered St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore.
He was ordained in New York City by Cardinal Francis Spellman on May 6, 1956, for the Diocese of Richmond. His ordination was moved to New York so that his sick mother could attend the ceremony.
His first assignment under Richmond Bishop Peter Ireton was as parochial vicar at St. Thomas More Parish in Arlington. Before the Arlington Diocese was formed, Msgr. Mahler served in Virginia as parochial vicar of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Richmond and St. Bernadette Parish in Springfield (1962-65); at Our Lady of Nazareth Parish in Roanoke where he became administrator in 1966; and then as founding pastor of St. Lawrence Parish in Alexandria in 1967.
After a three-year leave of absence, during which the Diocese of Arlington was formed, Msgr. Mahler (then still Father) returned to St. Thomas More - which had become the cathedral parish - and served as parochial vicar in 1975. That year he was also assigned as administrator at St. Charles Borromeo Parish in Arlington and at Good Shepherd Parish in Alexandria. He then was named pastor of Good Shepherd Parish and remained there until 1979 when he became pastor of St. John Parish in McLean.
In 1982, he was given the rank of domestic prelate - an honorary member of the papal household. The following year, he was named a monsignor along with Msgr. Thomas Cassidy, retired at St. Mark Church in Vienna, and Msgrs. James McMurtrie and John O'Connell, both deceased. These four priests were the last four men in the diocese elevated to the rank of monsignor.
Msgr. Mahler was pastor at St. John the Apostle Parish in Leesburg from 1986-90 before spending six years as parochial vicar at Blessed Sacrament Parish in Alexandria.
He was named founding pastor of St. Clare of Assisi in Clifton in 1996.
In 1998, he was named parochial vicar of St. James Parish in Falls Church and served in that position until his retirement, at which time he moved to Blessed Sacrament Parish.
<body>Fr. Howard Picard, C.I.C.M.
<body>Missionhurst Father Howard Picard was born on Jan. 17, 1924, in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Prior to entering the priesthood, Father Picard obtained a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering and served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He served in all the European countries and served with the Army of Occupation in Germany.
He entered the Missionhurst Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and was ordained on June 2, 1956.
His first assignment was as assistant pastor in San Antonio, Texas, from 1956-59. From there, he went to the Dominican Republic where he served as pastor. In 1983, he was reassigned to the U.S. Province and taught at Archbishop Wood High School in Philadelphia, Pa.
Since 1985, Father Picard has gone on Mission Appeals and covered most of the states east of the Mississippi. While living at Missionhurst in Arlington, he often celebrated Masses at Marymount University in Arlington and the Dominican Retreat House in McLean. He also served as an Army contract chaplain at Fort Myer in Arlington.
Father Picard is now retired but continues his ministry of prayer. 40 Years
Father Richard B. Martin, pastor of Church of the Nativity in Burke, will mark his 40th anniversary to the priesthood. 35 Years
Fathers Richard J. Ley, in residence at St. Agnes Parish in Arlington; Franklyn M. McAfee, pastor of St. John the Beloved Parish in McLean; and Nhi Dinh Tran, parochial vicar at St. Ambrose Parish in Annandale; John T.B. Trong, parochial vicar at St. Bernadette Parish in Springfield; James Angert, T.O.R., administrator of St. Joseph Parish in Herndon; Arthur J. Espelage, O.F.M.; William J. Metzger, O.S.F.S., pastor, Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in Vienna; will all mark 35 years in the priesthood. 30 Years
Father Gary Banks, S.T., with the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity in Arlington, and Father Thomas E. Murphy, O.S.F.S., pastor of St. John Neumann Parish in Reston, will both mark 30 years in the priesthood. 25 Years
Fr. James Gould
Father James Gould was born July 5, 1955, in Memphis, Tenn., to James and Alice Gould. One of nine children, he grew up in Des Moines, Iowa, and attended Sacred Heart School and Dowling High School. He attended Niagara University in New York, N.Y., and St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood, Pa.
As a seminarian, he was vice-director of Christ House in Alexandria in 1978 and director of St. Martin de Porres Senior Center in the summer of 1978.
Ordained May 9, 1981, by former Arlington Bishop Thomas J. Welsh, Father Gould was parochial vicar at Holy Spirit Parish in Annandale, 1981-84, and St. John Parish in McLean, 1984-85; in residence at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington, 1985-88, St. Ann Parish in Arlington, 1988-92, and St. John Parish from 1992-93. He was pastor of St. Agnes Parish in Arlington from 1993-2000.
Father Gould served as diocesan director of vocations from1985-2000.
He has appeared frequently on EWTN, including as a commentator on televised sessions of the semi-annual meetings of the U.S. bishops.
Father Gould is currently pastor at St. Raymond of Penafort Parish in Fairfax Station.

Copyright ?2006 Arlington Catholic Herald, Inc. All rights reserved.

© Arlington Catholic Herald 2006