Jubilarians

First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
Previous Next

60 YEARS

Father Cornelius O'Brien, now retired, was born Jan. 16, 1932, in Ireland. He attended St. Patrick Seminary in Carlow, Ireland, and was ordained by Bishop Thomas Keogh June 5, 1955.

He was a priest in the Diocese of Alexandria, La., until he was invited by Bishop Thomas J. Welsh in 1975 to become part of the newly established Arlington Diocese.

He was assigned as parochial vicar at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More (1975-79) and St. Agnes Church (1979-80) both in Arlington. He was pastor of St. Lawrence Church in Alexandria (1980-83) and St. Timothy Church in Chantilly (1983-99). In 1999, he became pastor of St. James Church in Falls Church, and retired from active ministry in 2006.

He completed coursework for a doctorate in philosophy at Catholic University in Washington. He was director of the Notre Dame Institute, now the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College, in Alexandria (1976-79). He served as chaplain at Christendom College in Front Royal for 25 years.

He taught metaphysics and history of philosophy at the Association of Seminaries in Washington. A popular speaker, Father O'Brien presented lecture series on a variety of topics, including St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae and the cardinal virtues. He was co-founder of the Adoremus Society, which promotes renewal of the liturgy.

He lives in County Cork, Ireland.

55 YEARS

Father Francisco Méndez de Dios, now retired, was ordained June 24, 1960, in Madrid, Spain.

Born in Galicia, Spain, Aug. 9, 1935, he moved to the United States in 1979 and was incardinated into the Arlington Diocese April 4, 1986. From 1979 to 1983, he served as parochial vicar of Blessed Sacrament Church in Alexandria. He also served as parochial vicar at St. Bernadette Church in Springfield (1983-88), St. Rita Church in Alexandria (1988-90) and St. Charles Borromeo Church in Arlington (1995 to 2004).

He worked for the tribunal (1990-95) while in residence at St. Rita Church and then served as parochial vicar of All Saints Church in Manassas (2004-10).

Father Méndez de Dios is now in residence at St. Rose of Lima Priests' Retirement Villa in Annandale.

Spiritan Father Thomas P. Tunney, now retired, was born Dec. 12, 1934, in Ambridge, Pa.

With an early vocation to the priesthood, he enrolled in the Spiritan junior seminary in Cornwells Heights, Pa., before attending the Spiritan novitiate in Ridgefield and Spiritan seminary in Norwalk, both in Connecticut. He was ordained a member of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost (now Congregation of the Holy Spirit) Sept. 21, 1960, by Spiritan Bishop Richard Ackerman in Norwalk.

Following ordination, Father Tunney spent 35 years as a missionary in Africa. Assigned to Tanzania, he evangelized to communities who had no previous knowledge of Christianity, and helped start clinics, schools and a hospital. When a new diocese was established in the region, Father Tunney was asked to create a junior seminary, and he later led local recruitment and formation efforts.

During his time in Tanzania, Father Tunney learned Swahili and hunted on the plains to help feed school children. His final service for the church in Africa was as seminary rector in Nairobi, Kenya.

Father Tunney returned to the United States in 1996 and served as director of the Spiritan Foundation in Wheaton, Md., (1996-99) and as a member of the provincial council of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit (1997-2000). In 1999, he was appointed pastor of St. Mark the Evangelist Church in the Harlem section of New York City, where he served for 10 years.

Father Tunney was named parochial vicar of Our Lady, Queen of Peace in 2009 and lives there in retirement.

50 YEARS

Oblate of St. Francis de Sales Father William N. Dougherty, in residence at St. John Neumann Church in Reston, was born Dec. 23, 1936, in Philadelphia.

Father Dougherty graduated from Northeast Catholic High School in Philadelphia and entered the Oblate novitiate in Childs, Md., in 1954. After making his initial vows, he studied biology and chemistry at Niagara University in New York.

In 1959, he went to Switzerland, where he studied for six years and earned degrees in philosophy and theology. He was ordained April 3, 1965, by Bishop Ludovico Haller, abbot of the St. Bernard monastery in Fribourg, Switzerland.

Following ordination, Father Dougherty returned to the United States and taught at Northeast Catholic for about 10 years. While teaching, he earned his master's degree in French from Villanova University in Pennsylvania. In 1972, he was sent to Bishop Ireton High School in Alexandria, where he designed and started a schoolwide individualized education program. He left Ireton in 1983 to help found Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax, where he stayed until 1992. During his tenure as a teacher, Father Dougherty gave a number of talks at National Catholic Educational Association conventions.

Father Dougherty retired from teaching in 1992 and was named parochial vicar of St. John Neumann. In 1998, he was appointed novice master of the Oblates' Wilmington, Delaware-Philadelphia province, and later served as novice master in Brooklyn, Mich.

Father Dougherty returned to St. John Neumann in 2004 and served as parochial vicar until his retirement in July 2011.

Father Lawrence A. Kutz, assistant chaplain at the Reston Study Center in Reston, was ordained a priest of the Prelature of Opus Dei in Segovia, Spain, Aug. 8, 1965.

He was born Oct. 30, 1939, in Milwaukee, Wis., to Julius and Doris Kutz.

Father Kutz attended first through fifth grade in a one-room public school in Franklin, Wis., and sixth through eighth grades at St. Alphonsus School in Greendale. He graduated from Greendale High School in 1957 and earned his bachelor's in electrical engineering from the University of Wisconsin in Madison in 1962.

After working for one year in the physics department at the University of Wisconsin, he entered the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross in Rome. After ordination, his first assignment was in Valladolid, Spain.

Father Kutz served as the chaplain at the Leyton Study Center for men and the Petawa Residence for women in Milwaukee, Wis. (1967-76). He then relocated to San Francisco as the vicar for Opus Dei in California, where he served until 1990. He served as chaplain at Wyoming House for men and Clevemont Residence for women in Washington (1990-2005).

Father Kutz is assistant chaplain at the Reston Study Center in Reston.

Father Philip S. Majka, now retired, was ordained May 1, 1965, at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Richmond by Bishop John J. Russell.

Born on April 22, 1938, in New Britain, Conn., Father Majka is the son of Stanley A. and Helen K. Kulas Majka. He attended St. Thomas Seminary in Bloomfield, Conn., Queen of Apostles Seminary in Madison, Wis., and SS Cyril and Methodius Seminary in Orchard Lake, Mich., in 1965.

His served as associate pastor at Blessed Sacrament Church in Alexandria (1965-67), St. Mark Church in Vienna (1967-70), Good Shepherd Church in Alexandria (1970-72), St. Michael Church in Annandale (1972-75) and St. Mary Church in Alexandria (1975-76).

Father Majka established St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in Lake Ridge in 1976. In 1984, he was named pastor of St. John the Evangelist in Warrenton, where he established the parish school. In 1996, he was named pastor of St. Patrick Church in Fredericksburg.

In 1999, the Polish American Priest Association honored Father Majka with a national award at its 10th annual convention. That same year, he received the Cavaliers Cross of Merit from the Polish Government in recognition of his service to Polish-American community.

Starting in 2005, he served as parochial vicar at St. James Church in Falls Church until his retirement in 2012.

Father Majka now resides at St. Rose of Lima Priests' Retirement Villa in Annandale and serves as the Catholic chaplain at Dulles International Airport.

45 YEARS

Fathers Thomas J. Lehning and Stanley J. Krempa were ordained Dec. 18, 1970; Oblate of St. Francis de Sales Father Lewis S. Fiorelli, was ordained Sept. 12, 1970.

40 YEARS

Father Robert E. Avella was ordained May 10, 1975; Father Dominic P. Irace was ordained June 29, 1975; and Fathers Mark A. Pilon and William B. Schardt were ordained Nov. 29, 1975.

35 YEARS

Father John T. O'Hara was ordained May 10, 1980.

30 YEARS

Father Robert L. Ruskamp was ordained May 11, 1985 ; Father Jean Vanes Nicolas was ordained July 7, 1985; and Dominican Father Peter Houng Pham was ordained July 27, 1985

25 YEARS

Father Denis M. Donahue, pastor of St. Philip Church in Falls Church, was born Nov. 13, 1962, in South Pasadena, Calif., one of five sons of Francis and Mary Donahue.

He attended Catholic elementary and high school in Ann Arbor, Mich., and Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, graduating in 1984. He also took courses at Christendom College in Front Royal before entering Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md. Father Donahue was ordained by Arlington Bishop John R. Keating May 19, 1990, at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington.

Before his priestly ordination, he served as an acolyte at St. Patrick Church in Fredericksburg during the summer of 1988; during his diaconate year he served at St. Timothy Church in Chantilly.

Father Donahue was parochial vicar of St. Agnes Church in Arlington (1990-94); St. Louis Church in Alexandria (1994-96); and St. Anthony of Padua Church in Falls Church (1996-2000).

In 2000, he was appointed pastor of St. Rita Church in Alexandria. In 2010, he was appointed pastor of St. Philip Church.

Father Lee R. Roos was ordained by Arlington Bishop John R. Keating at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington May 19, 1990.

The son of Robert and Rose Marie Roos of Wexford, Pa., he attended St. Sebastian School and North Allegheny High School in Pittsburgh, Pa. In 1975, he earned a degree in computer science from Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. He then moved to Fairfax and worked as a computer systems analyst for 10 years before entering St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia. Ordained a deacon in 1989, he received assignments at Holy Spirit Church in Annandale and St. Philomena Church in Lansdowne, Pa.

Following his ordination to the priesthood, Father Roos was named parochial vicar at St. Bernadette Church in Springfield. He was assigned to the diocesan tribunal on a part-time basis in 1992. In 1993, he started part-time studies in canon Law at Catholic University in Washington, and moved to the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington. He began full-time study in 1995 while in residence at St. Luke Church in McLean. In 1996, he earned a licentiate in canon law and was assigned to the tribunal full-time.

He has held office as auditor, defender of the bond and judge. Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde appointed Father Roos as an adjutant judicial vicar in 1999.

In 2003, he was named administrator of St. Agnes Church in Arlington and, in 2005, pastor of St. Agnes Church.

Father Roos has been the pastor of All Saints Church in Manassas since 2014.

Father Marcus A. Pollard, pastor of St. Anthony Church in Falls Church, was born Dec. 22, 1962, in Frankfurt, (West) Germany, to David and Ilse Pollard. He attended Frost Middle School in Fairfax and graduated from Oakton High School in Vienna in 1981.

After attending the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business (1981-83), he earned his bachelor's in philosophy from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood, Pa., in 1987. He earned a master's from Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., in 1990.

He was ordained by Arlington Bishop John R. Keating at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington May 19, 1990.

Father Pollard was named parochial vicar of Holy Family Church in Dale City (1990-94). In the following years, he served as parochial vicar of St. John the Evangelist Church in Warrenton (1994-96) and St. Louis Church in Alexandria (1996-99); founding administrator and pastor of St. Veronica Church in Chantilly (1999-2007); parochial vicar of St. Bernadette Church in Springfield (2007-11) and St. John the Apostle in Leesburg (June-Nov. 2011); administrator of Queen of Apostles Church in Alexandria (2011-12); and parochial vicar of St. Mary Church in Alexandria (2012-14).

Father Pollard was named pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Church in 2014.

Father Francis J. Peffley, parochial vicar of St. John the Apostle Church in Leesburg, was born March 16, 1963, in Norristown, Pa.

After attending Penn Charter School in Philadelphia, he graduated from Christendom College in Front Royal in 1986 with a degree in theology.

Father Peffley earned master's degrees in divinity and moral theology from Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., and his diaconate assignment was at Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Winchester. He was ordained May 19, 1990, by Arlington Bishop John R. Keating at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington.

Father Peffley was parochial vicar of St. Andrew the Apostle Church in Clifton (1990-94), Our Lady of Angels Church in Woodbridge (1994-98), St. Louis Church in Alexandria (1998-2000) and St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Church in Fredericksburg (2000-01) before being named administrator of the newly formed Holy Trinity Church in Gainesville. He was the founding pastor of Holy Trinity. After 10 years at Holy Trinity, Father Peffley was appointed parochial vicar of St. John the Apostle in 2011.

Father Peffley has been the diocesan spiritual director of the Legion of Mary since his ordination and is author of the book Inside the Legion of Mary. He wrote a series of articles for the Catholic Herald giving practical suggestions for celebrating the three-year preparation for the Great Jubilee (1997-99).

Father Peffley led youths to World Youth Days in Denver; Manila, Philippines; and Paris. He also has juggled at events throughout the diocese.

Father Jerry J. Pokorsky, pastor of St. Michael Church in Annandale, was born May 6, 1954, in Manitowoc, Wis., to James and Phyllis Pokorsky. He has two brothers and a sister, all living in Wisconsin.

He attended St. Mary School and graduated from Roncalli High School, both in Manitowoc. He attended Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., and was ordained by Arlington Bishop John R. Keating at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington May 19, 1990. He spent his diaconate assignment at St. Leo the Great Church in Fairfax.

Father Pokorsky was parochial vicar of St. Ann Church in Arlington (1990-94); St. Andrew the Apostle Church in Clifton (1994-96); and Holy Spirit Church in Annandale (1996-99). He was named administrator of St. Peter Mission in Washington, Va., in 1999. Father Pokorsky was assigned to duty in the Diocese of Lincoln, Neb. (2003-06). He served as parochial vicar of St. Lawrence Church in Alexandria (2006-08).

In 2008, Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde appointed him pastor of St. Michael Church in Annandale.

Father Pokorsky was co-founder of the Adoremus Society, and was a contributor to the Adoremus Hymnal, which promotes liturgical renewal. He is also a gospel commentator for the Catholic Herald.

© Arlington Catholic Herald 2015