Priests celebrate anniversaries

First slide
First slide
First slide
First slide
Previous Next

Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde will celebrate the annual Mass for diocesan and religious order priests who are celebrating jubilee anniversaries of their ordination to the priesthood May 13 in Emmitsburg, Md.

65 Years

Missionhurst Father Charles D. Denys was born July 25, 1920, in Roeselare, Belgium. He was ordained in 1944 and ministered in China in 1947. Because of the deterioration of the government, he stayed in Peking only one year. He was then assigned to the United States.

For four years he was parochial vicar of Precious Blood Parish in Culpeper. He served in parishes in Philadelphia for the next 20 years. In 1973, he became pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in Detroit, Mich., where he served for 21 years. During this time he was coeditor and editor of the Gazette van Detroit, a Belgian-American weekly newspaper, which has served the Belgian community for more than 90 years.

He has been active in the Missionhurst Provincial Council and has served as the U.S. congregation's archivist and is a noted historian. He resides at Dominion House in Arlington.

60 Years

Missionhurst Father Joseph Dewaele was born March 19, 1924, in Waregem, Belgium. He was ordained in 1949. His first priestly assignment was in Congo, where he served as director, professor and superintendent of diocesan schools at the nearby college.

He returned to Brussels where he was a professor at the Missionhurst study houses. In 1967, Father Dewaele came to the United States where, after making mission appeals, he was transferred to Archbishop Wood High School in Philadelphia. He spent 10 years there, and in 1979 became pastor of Mary, Star of the Sea Parish in Oxnard, Calif.

In 1986 he was made parochial vicar of Our Lady of Victory Parish, West Haven, and St. Rita Parish, Hamden, both in the Archdiocese of Hartford, Conn.

He currently resides in Arlington.

55 Years

Msgr. R. Roy Cosby was born May 16, 1924, in Henrico County, Va. He graduated from John Marshall High School, East End, Richmond, in 1941. He earned his bachelor's in electrical engineering from Virginia Tech in 1944.

Msgr. Cosby attended St. Charles College, Catonsville, Md., and earned bachelor's degrees in philosophy and theology from St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, in 1954. He was ordained by Richmond Bishop Peter Ireton May 8, 1954.

He also holds a master's in science teaching from the University of Virginia. He worked at the U.S. Patent Office from 1945-46, then taught for a year at St. Francis College in Loretto, Pa.

Msgr. Cosby served as an associate of the Diocesan Mission Band in 1954; associate pastor at Holy Cross Parish, Lynchburg, 1956-60, and Blessed Sacrament Parish, Norfolk, 1960-62.

He taught at St. John Vianney Seminary, Richmond, from 1962-67. While teaching at the seminary, Msgr. Cosby held a number of parish assignments, including St. Bridget in Richmond, Holy Comforter in Charlottesville, Christ the King in Norfolk and St. Patrick in Richmond.

He was appointed pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Columbia, in 1967, and transferred to St. Francis in Staunton the following year. In 1970, Msgr. Cosby became the founding pastor of Holy Family Parish in Dale City, where he served for eight years.

He became pastor of St. Timothy Parish in Chantilly in 1978 and founding pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Fredericksburg in 1983. In 1994, he was named pastor of St. James Parish in Falls Church.

He has served as chairman of the diocesan research and development committee, dean of Deanery V and Deanery I, board member of Catholic Charities, director of Christian Life Communities and director of the diocesan Apostleship of Prayer. He also served as vice chancellor of the diocese, 1998-2000, and was an ex officio member of the Presbyteral Council.

Msgr. Cosby was vicar general of the diocese from March 1994 until the death of Arlington Bishop John R. Keating in March 1998.

Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde re-named him vicar general in 1999. He received the honorary title of "reverend monsignor" in October 1994 - the 11th diocesan priest to receive the papal honor.

Msgr. Cosby was pastor of St. James in Falls Church at the time of his retirement in June 1999. He resides in Rockville, Va.

Msgr. Frank J. Hendrick was born Nov. 2, 1926, in Richmond to Arthur and Beulah Hendrick. He graduated in 1943 from Benedictine High School in Richmond. Msgr. Hendrick was a corpsman in the U.S. Navy and Marines from 1945-46 prior to graduating from the University of Richmond in 1948.

Msgr. Hendrick attended Mount St. Mary Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., and was ordained a priest by Bishop Ireton May 8, 1954.

His first assignment was at St. James in Falls Church where he was parochial vicar.

He earned a master's in education from Catholic University in Washington in 1960, and in 1962 he served as principal of Norfolk Catholic Schools. In 1966, he became founding pastor of St. Jerome Parish in Newport News.

Msgr. Hendrick was a chaplain in the U.S. Army from 1969-72. He was awarded a Bronze Star with Combat Valor, the Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal and two battle stars on his Vietnam theatre ribbon.

Msgr. Hendrick came to Northern Virginia after his chaplaincy, serving as pastor of St. Ann Parish in Arlington in 1972, and director of Catholic Charities from 1974-81. He was the first executive director of Catholic Charities under founding Arlington Bishop Thomas J. Welsh.

In 1976 he became pastor of St. Agnes Parish in Arlington where he served for five years before becoming pastor of St. Mary Parish in Alexandria.

Msgr. Hendrick retired from Holy Spirit Parish in Annandale in 1995. He now resides in North Carolina.

50 Years

Father Frank J. Ready was born June 8, 1930, in Nantick, Mass., the only child of Frank and Mary Ready. After his mother's early death, his father married Doris Raymond and they had one son and three daughters. Father Ready and his siblings grew up largely in Fitchburg, Mass., where he served Masses at St. Bernard's Church.

He entered seminary for the Maryknoll Fathers, but transferred to the Richmond Diocese, which then included all of Virginia and some counties in West Virginia. He was ordained by Richmond Bishop John J. Russell May 11, 1959.

He served as associate pastor of St. Bede Church in Williamsburg, 1959-60; St. Bridget Church, Richmond, 1960-62; St. Vincent Church, Newport News, 1962-65; and St. Michael Church, Annandale, 1965-70.

Also for the Richmond Diocese, he was on the faculty of St. John Vianney Seminary from 1960-62, and worked as executive director of Catholic Charities from 1962-65.

He was the founding pastor of St. Theresa Parish, Portsmouth, 1970-73; Nativity Parish, Burke, 1973-84; and Sacred Heart Parish, Manassas, 1984-95. In 1995 he was appointed pastor of Holy Spirit in Annandale where he served until 2005.

For the Arlington Diocese, he served as dean of Deanery V from 1991-95, and dean of Deanery II from 1997-2003. He was named to the diocesan college of consultors in 2000.

Since 2005, he has served as vicar general for pastoral services, and been in residence at St. Agnes in Arlington.

Franciscan Friars of the Atonement Father William F. Schmidt was born in McKeesport, Pa., in 1928. He entered the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement in 1951, was professed in 1953, and ordained a priest June 6, 1959 at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.

Following his ordination, he taught at St. John Seminary in Montour Falls, N.Y.; was master of clerics at St. Pius X Seminary, Graymoor, N.Y.; and director of formation at Our Lady of Atonement Novitaite, Cumberland, R.I.

He then became director of students at Atonement Seminary, Washington, D.C., and a guidance counselor at Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington. From 1975-81, he was pastor of Christ the Redeemer Parish in Sterling.

In 1981, he became guardian of St. Paul's Friary in Graymoor, N.Y. In 1983, he became pastor of St. Andrew Church in Apex, N.C. In 1989 he was elected to the General Council of the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement.

He is presently parochial vicar of Christ the Redeemer in Sterling.

Spiritan Father Leonard J. Tuozzolo was born June 26, 1932, in Woodside, N.Y., to Joseph and Margaret (Telesco) Tuozzolo. He attended Manhattan College from 1950-51. He made his first profession with the Congregation of the Holy Spirit in Ridgefield, Conn., in 1954, and was ordained to the priesthood in Norwalk, Conn., June 4, 1959.

His assignments have included vocation work at St. Joseph's House in Philadelphia from 1964-66; assistant chaplain at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, 1973-75; pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Charleston, S.C., 1975-78; national director of the Missionary Vehicle Association in Oakmont, Pa., 1978; pastor of St. Mark the Evangelist Parish in New York, 1987-99; administrator of All Saints Parish in Harlem, N.Y., 2001-02.

Father Tuozzolo has been pastor of Our Lady, Queen of Peace Parish in Arlington since 2002.

45 Years

Father Tarsicio D. Buitrago is parochial vicar of St. Leo the Great Parish in Fairfax.

Father Martin McGuill is pastor of St. Luke Parish in McLean.

35 Years

Third Order Franciscan Father Patrick Donahoe is parochial vicar of St. Joseph Parish in Herndon.

Father Horace H. Grinnell is pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Falls Church.

Father Patrick Holroyd is pastor of St. Mark Parish in Vienna.

Father Gerald Weymes is pastor of St. Timothy in Chantilly.

30 Years

Father Robert C. Cilinski is pastor of All Saints Parish in Manassas.

Oblates of St. Francis de Sales Father Mark S. Mealey is vicar general for administration and moderator of the curia, and is in residence at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in Vienna.

25 Years

Father Michael J. Bazan was born Sept. 19, 1951, in Utica, N.Y., as the second of six children of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Bazan.

He entered the U.S. Air Force in 1972 and was stationed in Texas, California, West Germany and New Jersey before being discharged in 1977. He attended Brisson Seminary, College Seminary for the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, in Warrenton, Pa.; the Seminary of St. Pius X in Erlanger, Ky.; and Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md. His diaconate assignment was at Nativity Parish in Burke. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Keating May 12, 1984.

Father Bazan served as associate pastor of St. Catherine of Siena Parish in Great Falls from 1984-88; Blessed Sacrament Parish in Alexandria, 1988-92; St. John the Evangelist Parish in Warrenton, 1992-94; Good Shepherd Parish in Alexandria, 1994-96 and pastor of St. John the Evangelist in Warrenton from 1996-2004.

He was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart in Manassas in June 2004.

Father James C. Bruse was born Oct. 28, 1954, in Washington, D.C., to James G. and Ann Louise Bruse. H graduated from Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg in 1976, and Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., in 1983. He was ordained by Bishop Keating May 12, 1984.

His diaconate assignment was at St. John the Beloved Parish in McLean.

He served as parochial vicar of St. James in Falls Church, 1984-88; St. John the Apostle Parish in Leesburg, 1988-90; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in Lake Ridge, 1990-95.

He has served as pastor of St. Francis de Sales Parish in Kilmarnock since 1995.

Father Donald C. Greenhalgh was born Oct. 1, 1940, in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pa., the third of four sons of Paul and Helen Greenhalgh. He attended Waldron Academy in Merion, Pa., and Malvern Preparatory School in Malvern, Pa., and graduated from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville in 1962. After serving on active duty in the U.S. Army Reserves, he worked as a systems engineer in the computer industry for 15 years in and around Philadelphia.

In 1977, Father Greenhalgh entered the Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues in the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus. Completing three years in the Jesuits by teaching one year at Loyola College in Baltimore, he left the Society without taking vows and enrolled at Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md. He was ordained a priest by Bishop Keating on May 12, 1984.

Father Greenhalgh spent his diaconate year at St. Philip Parish in Falls Church. He served as associate pastor at St. Louis Parish in Alexandria from 1984-88; St. Catherine of Siena in Great Falls from 1988-1991; St. Timothy in Chantilly from 1991-93; and Good Shepherd in Alexandria from 1993-94.

From 1994-96, he was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo Parish in Arlington. He served as pastor of St. Mary of Sorrows Parish in Fairfax, 1996-2005, when he was appointed pastor of St. Ann in Arlington.

Father José E. Hoyos was born March 2, 1956, in Buga, Colombia, one of 12 children of Gilma and Efrain Hoyos.

Father Hoyos graduated from College Academico in Buga Valle in 1975 and went on to study philosophy at the University of San Buenaventura in Bogota. He received a licentiate in theology from the University of Javeriana. He attended seminary and received a master's in theology at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. He also attended the Major Manizalez Seminary in Colombia.

He spent his diaconate assignment in Chicago.

He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Mario Escobar Serna Sept. 1, 1984, at the Cathedral of San Pedro in Buga.

Father Hoyos served with the Clerics of St. Viator in Bogota from 1985-86; as pastor of St. Juan de Avila Parish in Bogota, 1986-87; and as professor of philosophy at the College of San Viator in Bogota, 1986-88. In 1988, he returned to Chicago to reside with the Clerics of St. Viator community.

He served as parochial vicar of the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington from 1989-93. He was parochial vicar of St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Falls Church from 1993-2001.

He served as parochial administrator of Holy Family in Dale City from 2001-03 when he was named pastor, a post he held until 2005. He has been in residence at St. Philip in Falls Church since 2005 when he became the director of the diocesan Spanish Apostolate.

He was incardinated into the Arlington Diocese in 2000.

Father Hoyos became an American citizen in 1995 and has been a strong advocate for the Hispanic community. He has been the director of the Spanish Apostolate's weekly radio program "Boletin Católicos" since 1993.

Missionaries of the Holy Apostles Father Gerard A. Petta was born Jan. 22, 1939. He began his formation with the Missionaries of the Holy Apostles in 1976 and made his first promises with the community Sept. 15, 1980. He pronounced his final promises May 15, 1983, and was ordained to the priesthood Aug. 22, 1984.

Father Petta served as pastor in a parish in West Virginia, 1991-98. Since then he has worked as a spiritual director and mentor to various lay groups; served as a contract chaplain at Arlington National Cemetery and the Washington Naval Base, 2000-03; and heard confessions and celebrated Masses at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Since 2001, Father Petta has assisted on the weekends at St. Lawrence Church in Alexandria, helping with ministry to the Hispanic community and offering a weekly Scripture study class.

Father Robert J. Rippy was born March 12, 1958, in Cherry Point, N.C. He attended St. Rita School and Bishop Ireton High School, both in Alexandria.

He received his bachelor's in 1980 from St. Charles Borromeo College and his master's in 1984 from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, both in Wynnewood, Pa. He spent his diaconate assignment at St. Leo the Great in Fairfax.

He was ordained by Bishop Keating May 12, 1984. He served as parochial vicar of Holy Spirit in Annandale, 1984-86. He then studied canon law at the Gregorian College in Rome, receiving his licentiate in canon law in June 1988.

After returning from Rome, he was assigned to the Diocesan Tribunal and resided at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Arlington.

He served as parochial vicar of Our Lady of Lourdes, 1987-97, and as pastor from 1997-2005. He has served as rector of the Cathedral of St. Thomas More since 2005.

He served as diocesan chancellor from 1992-2005, and as moderator of the curia and vicar for permanent deacons from 1992-99.

He also serves on the board of Diocesan Consultors, is the diocesan Promoter of Justice, Dean of Deanery I, and is a member of the Catholic Herald's board of directors.

Father William P. Saunders was born March 9, 1957, to Dr. Joseph and Pauline Saunders in Washington, D.C. He attended St. Bernadette School, West Springfield Elementary

School, Washington Irving Intermediate and West Springfield High School, all in Springfield. He graduated from the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg in 1979.

He worked as an accountant for National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1977-81. He attended St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood, Pa., and was ordained by Bishop Keating May 12, 1984.

He was parochial vicar of St. Mary in Alexandria, 1984-88, and served as chaplain at Marymount University in Arlington, 1988-92, while in residence at St. John the Beloved in McLean.

He was named director of the Notre Dame Institute in 1992 and was in residence at Our Lady of Lourdes in Arlington, 1992-93.

He was parochial vicar of Queen of Apostles Parish in Alexandria, 1993-95, and was named pastor there in 1995. In 2000 he was appointed the founding pastor of Our Lady of Hope Parish in Potomac Falls.

He was dean of the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College in Alexandria from 1997-2001.

Father Daniel S. Spychala was born Dec. 18, 1956 in Gary, W.Va. He graduated from Wakefield High School in Arlington in 1975 and American University in Washington before entering Mount St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md. His diaconate assignment was at Holy Family in Dale City. He was part of the first class ordained by Bishop Keating May 12, 1984.

Father Spychala served as parochial vicar of Nativity Parish in Burke, 1984-85; St. Michael, Annandale, 1985-89; and St. John the Beloved, McLean, 1989-93.

He was pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish in Winchester from 1993-98 when he was named administrator of St. Philip in Falls Church. He served at St. Philip until 2002 when he moved to St. Ambrose Parish in Annandale. He was in residence at St. Ambrose until 2006 when he was named parochial vicar of St. Theresa Parish in Ashburn.

A member of the Equestrian Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, Father Spychala has also been spiritual director of the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae, as well as active in the Knights of Columbus and Scouting.

© Arlington Catholic Herald 2009