Sr. Marguerite Cook, former parishioner in diocese, celebrates jubilee

Sister Marguerite Cook, a former parishioner of St. Rita and Queen of Apostles parishes in Alexandria and St. Agnes Parish in Arlington, will celebrate 25 years as a member of the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis at a private ceremony this month.

She is the daughter of the late Frank W. and late Laura Marie (Nelson) Cook. Sister Marguerite graduated from St. Rita School and Francis C. Hammond High School in Alexandria. She entered religious life Aug. 27, 1983, and professed first vows May 30, 1987.

Sister Marguerite holds a bachelor's in occupational therapy from Mount Mary College in Milwaukee. She has served in her community-sponsored ministries in Belleville, Ill.; Eau Claire, Wis.; Chinle, Ariz.; and Springfield, Ill.

She serves at St. John's Hospital in Springfield as an occupational therapist in the behavioral health unit in addition to serving at St. Francis Convent in Springfield as the vocation minister.

The Hospital Sisters of St. Francis is an international, multicultural congregation of Franciscan Sisters founded in Germany in 1844. The American province, based in Springfield, was founded in 1875 when sisters from Germany arrived to care for the poor, sick and needy. The American province continues its health care ministry in the United States with sponsorship of 13 hospitals throughout Illinois and Wisconsin, and sponsorship of a mission in Tanzania, a Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach and a Chiara Center.

Find out more

More info about the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis, go to hospitalsisters.org.

© Arlington Catholic Herald 1970