VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' July 5-12 visit to Latin America
will not take him to his native Argentina, but it will put
him closely in touch with his Jesuit roots and with one of
the main characteristics of his ministry as archbishop of
Buenos Aires: direct contact with the poor, the sick and
those striving to bring the Gospel to bear on social
The pope will begin his three-nation South America tour in
Ecuador before moving on to Bolivia and Paraguay, the Vatican
announced May 8 when it published a detailed itinerary for
Although local Jesuit communities have enjoyed Pope Francis'
special attention on several of the seven foreign trips he
already has made as pope, the South American trip is the
first time the Vatican has listed the encounter on the
official schedule. He will have lunch July 6 with the Jesuit
community at Colegio Javier in Guayaquil, Ecuador.
The next evening, he will pay a "private visit" to Quito's
Church of the Society of Jesus, known as "La Compania," a
jewel of Spanish Baroque architecture. The first Jesuits
reached Ecuador in 1574, just 34 years after the society was
founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola. Work on the church in
Quito began in 1605.
Pope Francis will spend less than four hours in Bolivia's
capital, La Paz. Vatican sources said the city's high
elevation made it advisable for him to visit only briefly.
The same evening he arrives in Bolivia, July 8, he will fly
on to Santa Cruz after the welcoming ceremony, a visit with
the president and a meeting with civil authorities.
Pope Francis will have the official welcoming ceremonies and
private visits with the presidents of Ecuador, Bolivia and
Paraguay as dictated by protocol; in addition, the pope will
meet "civil society" leaders in Ecuador, government officials
in Bolivia and members of the diplomatic corps in Paraguay.
But the heart of the visit is expected to be his public
Masses and the time he spends with people often on the
margins of society. On July 8, he will visit a home for the
aged run by the Missionaries of Charity in Quito; in Santa
Cruz, Bolivia, he will address participants in the second
World Meeting of Popular Movements, a group of grass-roots
activists, and will visit a prison; and in Asuncion,
Paraguay, he will visit both a pediatric hospital and the
residents of one of the city's poorest neighborhoods, Banado
Here is the pope's itinerary as released by the Vatican.
Times listed are local, with Eastern Daylight Time in
parentheses. Bolivia and Paraguay are on Eastern Daylight
Sunday, July 5 (Rome, Quito)
- 9 a.m. (3 a.m.) Departure from Rome's Fiumicino airport.
- 3 p.m. (4 p.m.) Arrival at Mariscal Sucre International
Airport in Quito. Speech by pope.
Monday, July 6 (Quito, Guayaquil, Quito)
- 9 a.m. (10 a.m.) Departure by airplane from Quito for
- 11.15 a.m. (12:15 p.m.) Mass outside the Shrine of Divine
Mercy in Guayaquil. Homily by pope.
- 2 p.m. (3 p.m.) Lunch at Colegio Javier with the Jesuit
community and members of the papal entourage.
- 5.10 p.m. (6:10 p.m.) Departure by plane for Quito.
- 6 p.m. (7 p.m.) Arrival in Quito.
- 7 p.m. (8 p.m.) Courtesy visit to the President Rafael
Correa at Carondelet Palace.
- 8:10 p.m. (9:10 p.m.) Visit to the Quito cathedral.
Greeting by pope.
Tuesday, July 7 (Quito)
- 9 a.m. (10 a.m.) Meeting with the Ecuadorean bishops in the
convention center at Bicentennial Park.
- 10:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m.) Mass in Bicentennial Park. Homily
- 4:30 p.m. (5:30 p.m.) Meeting with representatives of
schools and universities at the Pontifical Catholic
University of Ecuador. Speech by pope.
- 6 p.m. (7 p.m.) Meeting with representatives of civil
society in the Church of St. Francis. Speech by pope.
- 7:15 p.m. (8:15 p.m.) Private visit to the Church of the
Society of Jesus.
Wednesday, July 8 (Quito, La Paz, Santa Cruz)
- 9:30 a.m. (10:30 a.m.) Visit to a home for the aged run by
the Missionaries of Charity.
- 10:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m.) Meeting with clergy, religious men
and women, and seminarians at the El Quinche National Marian
Shrine. Speech by pope.
- Noon. (1 p.m.) Departure by airplane from Quito to La Paz,
- 4:15 p.m. Arrival at El Alto International Airport in La
Paz. Arrival ceremony. Speech by pope.
- 6 p.m. Courtesy visit to President Evo Morales in the
Palace of Government.
- 7 p.m. Meeting with civil authorities in the La Paz
cathedral. Speech by pope.
- 8 p.m. Departure by airplane for Santa Cruz.
- 9:15 p.m. Arrival at the Viru Viru International Airport in
Thursday, July 9 (Santa Cruz)
- 10 a.m. Mass in Christ the Redeemer Square. Homily by pope.
- 4 p.m. Meeting with priests, religious men and women, and
seminarians in the Don Bosco school. Speech by pope.
- 5:30 p.m. Participation in the second World Meeting of
Popular Movements at the exposition grounds. Speech by pope.
Friday, July 10 (Santa Cruz, Asuncion)
- 9:30 a.m. Visit to the Palmasola prison. Speech by pope.
- 11 a.m. Meeting with the bishops of Bolivia in Holy Cross
- 12:45 p.m. Departure ceremony at Viru Viru International
- 1 p.m. Departure by plane for Asuncion, Paraguay.
- 3 p.m. Arrival at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport
in Asuncion. Welcoming ceremony.
- 6 p.m. Courtesy visit to President Horacio Cartes at Lopez
- 6:45 p.m. Meeting with authorities and members of the
diplomatic corps in the garden of Lopez Palace. Speech by
Saturday, July 11 (Asuncion)
- 8:30 a.m. Visit to the Ninos de Acosta Nu General Pediatric
Hospital. Greeting by pope.
- 10:30 a.m. Mass outside the Caacupe Marian shrine. Homily
- 4:30 p.m. Meeting with representatives of civil society at
the Leon Condou Stadium at St. Joseph's School. Speech by
- 6:15 p.m. Vespers with bishops, priests, deacons, religious
men and women, seminarians and members of Catholic movements
at Assumption Cathedral. Homily by pope.
Sunday, July 12 (Asuncion, Rome)
- 8:15 a.m. Meeting with the people of the Banado Norte
neighborhood in the Chapel of St. John the Baptist. Speech by
- 10 a.m. Mass in the field at Nu Guazu Park. Homily by pope.
- 1 p.m. Meeting with the bishops of Paraguay in the Cultural
Center of the apostolic nunciature.
- 1:30 p.m. Lunch with the bishops of Paraguay and members of
the papal entourage.
- 5 p.m. Meeting with youths along the Costanera riverwalk.
Speech by pope.
- 7 p.m. Departure by plane for Rome.
Monday, July 13
- 1:45 p.m. (7:45 a.m.) Arrival at Rome's Ciampino airport.